Dentures are false teeth that replace missing teeth. They are removable and can be made from various materials. There are two types of dentures - Full dentures, which replace all of the teeth in an arch, and partial dentures, which replace some teeth, but not all. Dentures are usually made from plastic, porcelain, resin, or a combination of these materials.
Partial dentures can be used if you have several missing teeth in a row. Partial dentures have a gum-colored base that is connected to an acrylic or metal framework. Partial dentures can be held in place by clasps or precision attachments.
Full dentures are used to replace an entire dental arch. A gum-colored base is used to support a set of artificial teeth. A full set of dentures is held in place by suction, adhesive, or implants.
How are dentures made?
Your dentures are made using a model of your mouth. Typically, the dentist will start by inserting a trial denture. This denture is made with a material that’s softer than acrylic, so if it’s uncomfortable, you can discuss other options. Once you’re happy with the fit, the dentist will cast your final denture.
Dentures vs. other treatment options
Dental implants are the only tooth replacement option that replaces both the root and crown of a tooth. Dental implants can also be used to anchor dentures for a secure fit, as well as permanent bridges, so you won’t need dentures to replace multiple teeth.
While dentures are an effective tooth replacement option, they don’t address bone loss. However, when it comes to restoring multiple teeth, dentures are often the first choice suggested by dentists as they are simpler and do not involve surgery.
What are the advantages of dentures?
1. Dentures are affordable. Dentures are often one of the most cost-effective ways to replace missing teeth. Many dental insurance plans and dental discount plans cover the cost of dentures. Since they last a long time, they’re typically a cost-effective option in the long run.
2. Dentures are removable, so patients can take them out for daily cleaning. They can also be removed before sleeping. Since they’re removable, they’re held in place by suction or denture adhesive.
3. Dentures provide added confidence. Missing teeth can make it difficult to speak and chew food. Dentures restore function and can improve appearance.
4. Dentures are custom-made to fit each patient’s mouth. They’re designed to look just like natural teeth.
5. Dentures replace teeth on both the upper and lower jaws
To find out more about the dental services offered at Bergeron Dental, call (907)-456-5600 or schedule an online consultation. You can also visit us at 3112 Airport Way, Suite 2, Fairbanks, AK.