Fluoride treatments are recommended to help patients prevent tooth decay and cavities. Fluoride treatments are a simple, painless procedure that can be done during a patient’s regular dental visit. The fluoride treatments are applied directly to the teeth with a foam, gel, or varnish.
Why Are Fluoride Treatments Recommended?
Fluoride treatments are preventive treatments used to prevent cavities. They re-mineralize teeth, building on calcium and phosphorous. Additionally, fluoride strengthens the enamel, making it more resistant to acid attacks from bacteria.
Types of Fluoride Treatments
Your dentist may recommend fluoride treatments for a variety of reasons. Fluoride treatments can help strengthen tooth enamel, prevent tooth decay, and slow down decay that has already started. While fluoride treatments come in many forms, we will recommend the best type for you based on your unique needs.
- Fluoride Varnish: They are painted onto the teeth after professional teeth cleaning and are very effective in protecting teeth against decay and even reversing minor decay.
- Fluoride Rinse: It is a rinse that patients use at home. This rinse helps strengthen tooth enamel as well.
- Fluoride Gel: This is a gel that is painted onto the teeth and is very effective in preventing cavities and reversing minor decay.
- Fluoride Foam: This is a foam that is painted onto the teeth. Fluoride foam is mainly recommended for children.
- Fluoride Tablets: They are chewable tablets that are dissolved in the mouth.
Are Fluoride Treatments Safe?
Fluoride treatments are safe for most patients. Children under the age of six should use fluoride varnish, but fluoride treatments are safe for children over the age of six and for adults. At Bergeron Dental, our dentist and his team are highly skilled at determining the appropriate fluoride treatments for each of his patients.
Benefits of Fluoride Treatments
Fluoride is a mineral that strengthens tooth enamel, making it more resistant to acid erosion and decay. Fluoride treatments are especially beneficial if you have a dry mouth, a weakened immune system, or another condition that increases your risk for tooth decay. One of the benefits of fluoride treatments is that they do not require any downtime. Patients are able to immediately return to their daily routines after their treatments. The other major benefits offered by fluoride treatments include the following:
- Strengthens teeth and dental enamel
- Prevent tooth decay
- Protects against enamel erosion
- Remineralizes teeth
- Prevents sensitivity
- Reduces plaque buildup
- Less invasive than other dental treatments
When Should I Schedule A Fluoride Treatment?
Fluoride treatments are recommended for children as soon as their adult teeth begin to erupt. This typically happens around age five or six. Children who do not get fluoride treatments are at risk of developing an early cavity. Your dentist and hygienist will recommend having a fluoride treatment every six months to keep your teeth healthy.
To learn more about our dental procedures, schedule an appointment with Bergeron Dental by calling us at (907) 456-5600 or visiting our dental office located at 3112 Airport Way, Suite 2, Fairbanks, AK 99709.